Bergenfield Public School District is thrilled to continue the annual tradition of welcoming a new class of students who will embark on the fantastic voyage of “school” through our 2020 Kindergarten Registration. As a parent myself, I know the mixed emotions that could arise in you as you prepare to entrust the care of your child into the hands of our exceptional teaching staff. Therefore, to ease the stress of this process, we ask you to review the following guidelines so that you are prepared to meet the mandated requirements to which we all must adhere.
Kindergarten registration will take place on Tuesday, February 25; Wednesday, February 26; Thursday, February 27 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Friday, February 28, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Old South Church House, 150 West Church Street, Bergenfield, NJ (across the street from Cooper’s Pond). This information will also be available on the district’s website at www.bergenfield.org. Parents are asked to call Ms. Alice Nieves, District Registrar, at (201) 385-8600 ext. 1609 to schedule an appointment.
Please review the information below in order to ensure that the registration of your child may be readily completed.
All children must be five years of age on or before October 1, 2020. There will be no exceptions to this requirement. Registration requires the following:
- The child must be present at registration. (If the child is ill at the time of registration, please notify the District Registrar to reschedule).
- Parent/Guardian will be required to confirm their identity with a photo ID.
- The child’s original birth certificate must be presented at the time of registration; it will be returned to you.
- Proof of residency, such as a copy of your house deed, rent receipt, mortgage commitment or lease, will be required. In addition, you will be required to complete and have a notarized Parent Affidavit of Legal Residence and Pupil Domicile.
- Kindergarten registration packets are available for pickup at all elementary schools: Franklin School, Hoover School, Jefferson School, Lincoln School and Washington School. They will also be available for pickup at the Bergenfield High School Main Office. Kindly bring this packet with you at the time of registration.
- A physical examination is required of all children prior to entrance to Kindergarten. Any examination done on or after October 1, 2019, will satisfy this requirement. A card, to be completed by your medical care provider, will be provided to you with your registration packet. This card must be returned to the school nurse no later than May 1, 2020.
State law requires that all children be properly immunized against certain diseases before entrance to school. Please bring proof of these immunizations with you to registration.
The necessary immunizations are listed below: (PRESENT PROOF OF THESE AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION)
- DTaP- Minimum of 4 doses, one of which is given on or after the 4th birthday (or a total of any 5 doses).
- IPV or OPV- Minimum of 3 doses, one of which must be given on or after the 4th birthday (or a total of 4 doses spaced by a minimum of one month).
- MMR- 2 doses given on or after the first birthday. Doses must be separated by at least one month.
- Hep B- 3 doses.
- Varicella Vaccine- 1 dose on or after first birthday. A physician or parental statement of previous varicella disease is acceptable.
Parents are asked to call Ms. Alice Nieves, District Registrar, at (201) 385-8600 ext. 1609 for an appointment.
Our staff looks forward to building and maintaining a strong partnership so that you will dramatically shape your child’s future. We are here to assist you every step of the way.